There’s simply no denying it anymore — we have officially entered the holiday season. You know what that means: days filled with Muppet Christmas carols, Starbucks Peppermint Mochas, and HOLIDAY SEWING! Oh wait, is that just me? Well, even if you’re not into the Muppets or whipped cream-topped hot beverages, I hope that many of you can agree with that last part. Holiday projects are something many sewists look forward to all year, so to kick off the 2012 season, we’re excited to bring you a fun, free project courtesy of Fat Quarterly contributor Aubrey Schwartz.
Aubrey is an avid sewist, pattern designer, and mommy who blogs at Maubys.net, and her blog is a veritable treasure trove of information and project ideas. We also recommend that you check out Aubrey’s shop, where you can find some wonderfully original and creative sewing patterns (our favorites include the Presta Pouch, Rosie’s Circle Twirl Skirts, and the Teardrops Heart Quilt).
- 6 Grinch fabric fat quarters of your choice: 1 for the bottom front , 2 for the back, 1 for the hanging sleeve & binding, 1 for the pockets, and 1 for extra scraps & appliqué.
- 2 rectangles from the Grinch Book Panel or a 12″ x 19″ Fussy cut of your favorite Grinch print, for the front top.
- Small scrap of the Holiday Grinch fabric print , 4″ x 5″ minimum, with at least one Grinch in the center.
- 2, 4″ x 5″ pieces of lightweight fusible interfacing.
- 4 strips of 2 1/4″ x 18 1/2″ fusible fleece.
- 1 strip of 2 1/4″ x 2 1/2″ fusible fleece.
- 21″ – 24″ wooden dowel with holes one each end (or other hanging device).
- 3/4 yard of ribbon for hanging
Top Row: 24 / 23 / 22 / 21 / 20 / 19Next Row: 18 / 17 / 16 / 15 / 14 / 13Next Row: 12 / 11 / 10 / 9 / 8 / 7Bottom Row: 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 / 1